Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Thursday, May 25, 2006

I have had a few experiences in the last couple of years that made me really feel like a parent: throwing a child's birthday party, being called "Mommy", using a time out. I had one yesterday.

Owen bolted from the yard and ran down the sidewalk and out into the street! I about lost my shit. I totally kept it cool outside and firmly grabbed him (while a car stopped and waited) and brought him inside. And then? I absolutely freaked out. I was sobbing. Over and over in my mind I just kept thinking, "What if I had lost him? What if that car didn't stop? What if... What if..." I was too slow. I couldn't get there in time-- he made it into the street. I can feel my pulse increasing even as I relay the story.

The real question here is: Does that make me a bad mother?

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. The Bird Man said...

I did the same thing to my mother circa 1980. At the time I apparently thought it was hilarious, but I have recollection. Your not a bad mom, life is random and uncontrolable and there is only so much you can do. My brother never ran into the street as a todler and he died from cancer at the age of 5. What can you do? This comment probably isn't helping.

1:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home