Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

talk talk talk. blah blah blah.

Aaron and I had a really good and open conversation last night about... what else? Money. It is so true that money and financial stuff has become a very important part of our daily lives and chats. That's hard for me to deal with in a lot of ways... I have always been the kind of person who said "Money doesn't matter. Who needs money" etc. And now I am realizing that it is a part of my life and something that I think about more often than I'd like to.

After doing some number crunching the other night (or half doing it, because I got sort of depressed), we realized that if we have two kids in daycare next year at this time, we will be spending nearly $1500 a month in childcare alone. That's more than our mortgage and equity line together. This is a bit disturbing.

It calls into question: who is the number one earner in the family? At the moment, that's me. But Aaron has a higher earning potential unless I get another degree. However, if you include the benefits in my "earning amount", then I tip the scales. So the question becomes-- in a year, Aaron either has to make gobs more money, or one of us has to stay home (probably me) and the other (probably him) needs to work somewhere that will provide benefits (i.e. not on his own). These are hefty pills to swallow.

That's all I really have to say. Just an ever-present weighing on my mind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

Chilcare costs are ridiculous. Once I finish school, it doesn't make sense to get a job - entry-level librarian salary will not cover the cost of daycare, so I might as well stay home.

You've probably already thought of this, but have you looked into individual insurance plans? It is thousands cheaper for me to get the baby a plan through Blue Cross/Blue Shield than to add him/her to my current policy, and the benefits are better too...

7:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home