Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

To Vesta!

We're putting the house on the market this spring. I am so so so glad to be moving. We have lived in our two unit for 4+ years... and it's just way too small. We've done so much work on this house-- gutted it and re-did everything. And I am just so tired of it! I can't stand it.

So anyway, with thoughts of moving to a new place, I've been reading all of these "philosophy of home" things. Reading about Hestia, hearth, and what it means to call a place "home."
I did this cool exercise last night that takes you through your past homes and remembrances from childhood, adolescence, college, etc and it talks about when you feel the most comfortable and free and "home." It was eye opening. Here's what I learned about myself:
1. I love wind.
2. I love being alone.
3. I like it when no one knows what I'm doing. Idea of "secret" spaces.


What does this tell me in relation to my home?
1. I need exterior spaces: a yard, a deck, big windows looking out on the world.
2. I need a place within the home that I can call my own.
3. I want one room, filled with books, with furniture I can hide under, in chocolate brown. Dark, warm, and secret.

By going through the exercises, I learned a lot more about what I want and what I don't want. I always said that our apartment now didn't suit me because it was too small. But I realized that I actually really like small spaces... So long as I have a private corner to call my own.

2 Comments:

Blogger MeesheMama said...

Can you tell me what this exercise was? Can I find it online? (you can mail me at meeshemama at gmail.com)

3:07 PM

 
Blogger Lizzy said...

I have the same question...

11:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home