Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Here's Something to Chew On...

This is weird for me to be posting, but I am definitely looking for some new perspectives and thoughts on this particular situation:

My mom hates my husband.

Maybe "hate" is too strong a word. But she most certainly doesn't like him. And he's been around for 7 years... so it's not as if he's the new kid on the block or something. Maybe you are wondering why I care. First of all, because she's my mother. Regardless of all else, I think we all (even a little bit) want our parents to like us, like our choices, blah blah blah. Or at least-- I do. I want her to think I've made a good choice in partner. Plus, he's great!! And I want her to realize that.

Secondly, it's not like my mom likes hundreds of miles away and I can save any stressful interactions for annual visits. No. My mom lives a TOWN away. And she takes care of Vivi four days a week. So I see her basically every day. And every day I'm faced with the reality of her dislike for my husband.

It's gotten to the point where she doesn't want to hear about anything going on with him. She doesn't even want to validate that he exists. She even told me a few months back that she is only going to think of me and my kids, but that he's out of the picture for her.

Now, lemme bring you back. Hubby and I had a rough year in 2006. I think this often happens for people when they have young children. There's money, communication, jobs... Life is absolutely crazy. Throw in raising children, disciplining, being on the same page, having an infant, etc-- anyway, Aar and I had a lot going on-- and we worked through a lot. I know what you're thinking, 'You told your mom and she took your side and now she's still mad at him...' or something to that effect. Nope. Not one word. In fact, I spoke highly of him, even through all of it. But she's got something in her head that just lashes out at him.

Instead, she should realize that I want her support, not her judgment. And when she judges him and disses him, she's dissing me. Am I off here? Has anyone out there in blog-world experienced this and lived through it to tell the tale??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home