Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Saturday, April 02, 2005

buy my art? and other thoughts

wow. that's all i can say to describe the way that i'm feeling.

the art is up. and it's been really well received. a few people have expressed interest in buying; i've gotten gallery contacts; one man even offered to pay a GRAND (that's $1,000!!!) for a piece! it's so hard to believe... i'm just in amazement. wow. i'm absolutely on cloud nine. i'll keep you posted as things happen.

in other news... my sister is home for the weekend, and i've just missed her so terribly. it is wonderful to see her and her new pregnant belly. so wonderful and amazing. we had some really great talks today and touched on a subject that i've been struggling with lately: i have no childhood memories. turns out, renee doesn't have any either. we talked about how the things we do "remember" don't seem to be real. it's like, we've been told the same stories over and over and have seen all the pictures, so we started constructing memories. my mom said that that's a sign of trauma. that when kids have traumatic childhoods, they block it. we laughed about how we don't remember being abused or anything like that. but it does get you thinking. what happened? what about you, out there, three readers... do you remember things from your youth? anything at all?

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. The Bird Man said...

I have some pretty vivid childhood memories...I think. Memories are funny things though. I very clearly remember when my Grandpa died, I was three. I have a very clear image in my head of his body in the casket. The image is from a very low angle, that of a three year old, and I remember touching his hand and feeling how cold it was. My mother, my sister and my cousin were with me, but I don't remember anybody else being, just me and cold Pipop in the casket. I have extremly vaguge memories of Nursery school. I remember going with my mother to meet the teacher before school started and I got to try out the big tricycles we would be allowed to ride on. I have an image in my head actually sitting on the bike and peddalinig. I also remember picking out my favorite, a blue one, and being dissapointed when some other student would get to it first and I had to use a different bike. I am guessing that this is someting that actually happend to me, because no one would tell me a story like with details about my emotions in those situations. There are lots of other examples like these and the more I think the more keep coming back to me.
I also know that there are a few things that have been told to me that I've incorporated in to my brain as my own memories. It is a wierd distinction because being told a story about my child that I don't remember can sometimes evoke an image in my head, from my onw perspective (ie: not a photograph I've seen) thus drawing forth memories of the event. Other times I hear stories and I invoke mental images, but they are clearly just photographs that I've seen.

11:36 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

I actually just had a very similar conversation. I remember 2 things before age 8. That's it. Everything else is fuzzy and I am pretty sure just from pictures and stories. Funny how it all works!

8:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home